Monday, April 14, 2008

2008 National Indigi Art Prize

Mixed media on board
204 x 60cm
My entry 'Dat a Catapulla'
The work explores notions of narrative and language. Aboriginal English has distinctive features of accent, grammar, words and meanings. This work shows my interests as an educator and the pragmatics (the way language is used rather than the way it is structured) of Aboriginal English and the effects it has in the classroom. For example questions are often not used to seek important information. People use more indirect ways of finding things out, using hinting or triggering statements.

As I continually explore my own visual language, I will investigate ideas that relate individually and portray these as aesthetic material intensities. I merely strive to achieve a synthesis between my abstract expression influences and individual permutation.




No comments: